Cyber security is a very vital part of modern technology as most rely on the internet to operate. With technological advancements in top gear, new loop holes are seen – hence the need for cyber security.
In this article, we will consider the following:
- What is Cyber Security?
- Why the need for Cyber Security?
- What are cyber threats?
What is Cyber Security?
Many refer to cyber security as a body of technology, processes, and practices designed to protect networks, devices, programs, and data from attack, damage, or unauthorized access.
Others prefer to define the said term as the practice of defending computers, servers, mobile devices, electronic systems, networks, and data from malicious attacks. From these two definitions, one is made to stand out which is “defend or protect.”
In simple terms, cyber security refers to any action taken to protect a system, network or gadget from unauthorized access. There are different aspects of IT security.
Types of Cyber Security
- Network security is the process of protecting a computer network from unwanted access, via targeted attacks or malware.
- Application security refers to any action taken to secure a software and its associated devices. To achieve this, it said that successful security begins in the design stage, well before a program is deployed.
- Endpoint security is the process of protecting remote access to a company’s network. In other words, this is the act of shielding devices (network endpoints) from threats.
- Data security is any action taken to safeguard digital information from unauthorized access, corruption, or theft. This info may include files or databases.
- Identity and Access management deals with understanding the access every individual has to an organization and helps in providing the right resources at the right time.
- Cloud security has to do with the technologies and policies that protect data, applications, and infrastructure in the cloud from threats
- Disaster recovery and business continuity planning is any action taken in the event of a breach or any other incident that may cause the loss of data to ensure that the lost information is recovered and business must continue.
- End-user education is one of the most important parts of cyber security as it addresses the most unpredictable cyber-security factor: people. Several cyber incidents took place due to the introduction of malware to a health system through human-related errors – hence the need for education.
Why do we need Cyber Security?
Cyber threats are growing exponentially and it is no surprise the increase in attacks and data breaches. According to FireEye Cyber Threat Map, 720,000 international attacks happen everyday. Techjury estimate that every 11 seconds several forms of exploitation are taking place at different locations.
Based on the previously mentioned figures, we may conclude that cyber threats are on the rise. Data from FireEye further states that financial institutions are at greater risk compared to other sectors.
It is no news that several businesses or governments use networks that store sensitive data. These facilities can be attacked by cybercriminals to expose, alter, disable, destroy, steal or gain unauthorized access.
There are several stories of cyber attacks. Cyber security is especially important to prevent these cybercriminals from gaining access into these infrastructures and carting away sensitive information or digital assets. Since IT security is aimed at protecting a system, network or gadget from cyber threats, what are these threats?
What are Cyber Threats?
Wikipedia describes cyber threats as a potential negative action or event facilitated by a vulnerability that results in an unwanted impact to a computer system or application. Other sources say threats are possible dangers that might exploit a computer’s vulnerability to breach security and therefore cause possible harm.
From both explanations we deduce that threats involve Vulnerability (the loop hole of a system), Exploitation (the process), and a cybercriminal or organization. In simple terms, we may describe a threat as the danger these three factors possess to a network or system.
It is important to note that no entity is immune to cyber attacks and data breaches that may result from these threats. Some cyberattacks could be said to have destroyed some computer systems.
The realization that any network may possess a vulnerability that may serve as a threat begs the need for cyber security. However, with these dangers becoming increasingly sophisticated, implementation of IT security processes is needed.
In this article we discussed what cyber security is and its different categories. We also stated some reasons for the term under consideration. The write-up concluded by explaining what cyber threats are.
Cyber security is a very wide topic with various branches. The subsequent posts will discuss the types of cyber threats and the most common ones in 2022.